The waves of antiquity cast Panglao as a kingdom known to the Chinese, Malays, Siamese and Indonesian traders. Panglao town is believed to have been ruled by a king and could have become a bulwark of a flourishing civilization. But the king of Panglao died with their lost on the battle with conquestadores. so all the dreams envisioned by the leaders were also lost.
It was adduced when Father Andres de Urdaneta arrived with Legaspi expedition in Bohol in 1565, the priest still noted the remnants of the burned posts below our waterlines, which proved the lustrous historical affluences of Panglao. Antiques diggings and relics also proved likewise.
In the annals of the Catholic Church, in the year 1782, La Iglesia de San Agustin de Panglawod, a Jesuit Mission Post was created into a parish. From this fact, the old name Panglao was Panglawod considering also the characteristics of the place. The term Panglawod literally means to “to the open sea”.
In addition to the massive stone church which is clearly of Spanish-time vintage, one can see across the spacious plaza other land,arks of Spain’s occupation: the watchtower, said to be the tallest of its kind in the Philippines, and the old municipal building and school houses made of huge stone blocks.
These structures were proclaimed in 2011 as National Cultural Treasure and Important Cultural Properties by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines.
Today, Panglao is beginning to rebuild the dreams and started to regain with the image known across the universe as a prime tourism destination this part of the country.